Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sisterlocks Sizes & Grid

I've seen Sisterlocks recently that appear to have fallen outside of the realm of what is taught at the Sisterlocks training classes as far as sizes.

I wanted you as consumers to know that Sisterlocks Consultants and Trainees are taught to install Sisterlocks with an even grid in this manner. The trained Sisterlock Consultants are shown and provided with parting charts and taught NOT to deviate from this size for Sisterlocks as of today. The sizes below reflect the size of the Parts not the Sisterlocks.

Here are the Sisterlock Parting Sizes:

1/8" to 1/4" for Sisterlock Micros
1/4" to 3/8" for Average to Large Sisterlocks
Over 1/2" is Too Large according to Sisterlocks

I've used my head to give you a real life example:

Sisterlocks are installed as a rule of thumb slightly larger in the middle and back. If this is done properly, it should be virtually impossible for an onlooker to tell the slight difference. Can you tell from the photos below?

The first photo here is a photo of the front of my Sisterlocks parting.
I measured these recently with a translucent green ruler that did not photograph well. But these parts here are all 1/8".


Now when we move to the back of my head, they are all 1/4":


Now you may wonder if my Sisterlocks are twice as large in the back. Yes some are! But I barely notice their size difference. If I had all 1/8" parting, I know I would have longer retightenings and perhaps less fullness. My install would have taken longer and more of my locks would have to be combined. 2-3 of the micro Sisterlocks had to be combined to lock and to not hang on by a strand of hair.

Over 6 years later, my parts are the same size they were then. This is why it's so important to keep up with your maintenance. Having an even Sisterlocks grid with the correct size parts allows you more styling options and a neater look. This is what Sisterlocks Consultants are trained to do. 

Thoughts?

10 comments:

Paula Malimba said...

Been sisterlocks for 4 years and I DIY. While I know some women are absolutely anal about the parting, I do not care at all. I absolutely hated the stringy look of locs hanging for dear life by a thread, so I proceeded to "marry" most of them. I now have strong, healthy locs with solid roots that don't threaten to snap everytime I put my fingers in them.
Do I still have a grid? Could be. Maybe. Probably.

Kreyola said...

This is good information. I for one am a person that like neat looking grids (maybe it is the perfectionist in me). I'm close to 4 years and they still there and intact but then again I still go to my consultant and that maybe the reason.

Now from reading your information, I have seen a lot of over 1/2 locks and I always assume those are brotherlocks. What are the brotherlock sizing?

P.S. I'm getting ready to release a post about interlocking, and the sizing you have above was stated and shared for that as well (as far as micro looking locks is concern). I wonder where you got the sizing information from?

Naturally Sophia said...

Hi Paula! Your Sisterlocks are gorgeous. I have a few married locks on my head also. I posted this because I have gotten inboxed by some women who have paid for what they thought were Sisterlocks and what they got were big, uneven parts. Because it is so hard to find the correct info on the web on what Sisterlocks are exactly, I decided to do this post.
I love that you have strong healthy locks! I do too Thank Goodness :)

Naturally Sophia said...

Kreyola,

I am a sucker for neatness too. I am a Virgo. I am a perfectionist too. I can't help myself.

Brotherlocks sizing- I don't know. I guess because I have seen Brotherlocks so rarely and focus on Sisterlocks I never thought to ask. I just wanted women to know what Sisterlocks are exactly in terms of size.

Sizing info ? An anonymous but credible Sisterlocks resource. ;-)

Kreyola said...

You know what kills me about the uneven sizing part, is that people paid to get that mess.

I don't even understand that, the only thing I can think of is those people never style a head before? Now I don't know how the grid is created, but even I can create decent even parts. I will never understand how some of our sisters can get uneven parting on installs SMH!

Paula Malimba said...

I'm really touched by your compliment because your length is the target. Your colour and length combined, give your locs an incredible "swag".

Thanks for sharing and keep the blessings coming. I read every post you publish.

Cheleski of The Knotty Truth said...

From my research, brother lock is a different parting(diagonal) and can be sized like sisterlocks, the size of the grid pattern/blocks and direction results in a different block shape than SLs-making BLs unique. But, they can be up to half an inch or as small as a small SL. That will depend on the consultant and locker's overall assessment. of course, i may be wrong :)

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks Paula! Your length and color have swag too. Enjoy them! Thanks for letting me know you read this blog. I hate playing to an empty room.

Thanks Cheleski. I'll have to follow up with some consultants on BLs.

Yoli said...

Thank you, thank you Sophia!! I have traditional locs and will be getting SLs hopefully by the end of this year/early next year and this blog post was right on TIME! Now, I know what to look out for since I'm coming from traditional locs (hardly no grid pattern) to SL which grid pattern is super structured which I love the look of!

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks Yoli! Many blessings on your locking journey.