Search This Blog

Friday, August 2, 2013

PCOS, Metformin, & Sisterlocks

I have gotten some emails on the topic of Sisterlocks and Metformin. I have P.C.O.S. (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and Metformin is often prescribed for one of the many symptoms I.R.S. (Insulin Resistancy Syndrome).

I did not notice any effect in my hair from taking Metformin. But Metformin gave me horrible stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea, and lactic acidosis. I took myself off of Metformin and lost 40 pounds!

I no longer have amenorrhea, but I still see some of the other symptoms now and then. I especially see it when I fall off my diet. I cut out refined carbs, junk food, soda, and high calorie/high sugar juices completely.   I eat mostly high quality organic protein and veggies. My drink of choice is now water.

I was having some hair issues associated with the hormonal imbalance (another symptom of PCOS). But balancing my diet has improved that.

My number one PCOS suggestion is LOSE WEIGHT. This is something you can do right now by changing your diet, eating more of the right things, moving around more, and cutting the crap out of your diet.

YES it's hard, but it's not harder than having alopecia, out of control hair growth like a beard, depression, fatigue, hormonal imbalance, amenorrhea, infertility and all of the other PCOS symptoms.

Be encouraged all my Soul Cysters out there!

2 comments:

JUST Euphoria said...

WOW! you look fabulous Queen!! Congrats on your weight loss & deciding to ditch the prescriptions & trying something different, much continued success to you

Naturally Sophia said...

Hey Euphoria! Long time no chat. I hope all is well lovely. Many thanks!