Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weight Loss & Sisterlocks = A Great Combination

This post is not necessarily about hair.

It's about weight. As many of you know from 2011-2013 I lost ~40 pounds.

Having Sisterlocks definitely helps in having one less thing to worry about while working out. You can work out without worrying about sweating your hair out or getting your hair wet.

My 3 favorite ways to work out are hiking (climbing up and around Stone Mountain for locals), swimming, and yoga.

Many naturalistas wrap their hair but I don't. I heard a good site is www.saveyourdo.com; I read several great reviews for her headwraps that trap moisture to save your hairstyle. If you experience "slippage" in your Sisterlocks, this product is for you.

As for the pool, I tie my hair in a bun and dive in. I tried putting 2-3 swim caps on but now my hair is too full for it. Usually my hair is not soaked all the way through, so I just wash and condition. Then I air dry if it's warm out and blow dry if it's not. But I only go swimming at most 3 times a week. Have any of you tried a swim cap for locks you like? I know there are several on the market.

I know this may sound weird; but although I am still overweight, I have no desire to lose more weight. My main goal is being healthy, and if that requires weight loss then I chose my health. BUT I love my curves. I enjoy having a fleshy body. Really it would be great if we could spot reduce because I only want smaller arms and a flatter tummy.

Anyway, here's the progress as of January this year. For those of you who know me personally or through Facebook or Instagram, this is old news. But I wanted to share that this is a another great thing about Sisterlocks.

With Sisterlocks, working out is no problem!


7 comments:

foxydiva said...

Welcome back Ma!! You AND your hair look incredible. I'm with you, my goal weight is still considered overweight by current standards. But I LIKE having curves, as long as I'm healthy, I'm cool at a 10/12?

foxydiva said...

Welcome back Ma!! You AND your hair look incredible. I'm with you, my goal weight is still considered overweight by current standards. But I LIKE having curves, as long as I'm healthy, I'm cool at a 10/12?

Kreyola said...

I always thought you were sexy, especially with how you always dress. The picture on the right is on point, and I'm glad you reach your goal. Congrats on your achievement!!

Naturally Sophia said...

@FoxyDiva Thank you! Truthfully, I am content right now. I could lose 10-20 more pounds though. My goal is to just work out 4-5 days out of the week and eat around 1200-1500 healthy calories or 26 Weight Watchers points. I lost the last bit with Weight Watchers.

@Kreyola Thank you! LOL. The picture on the right is the heavier pic. But I appreciate your compliments. Curvy does not = bad or unhealthy.

Adrienne Chiles said...

I'm with you Kreyola! I was trying to figure out which picture was the "lighter" you because your body is banging in both!!!!

Naturally Sophia said...

@Adrienne Chiles Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

It is not easy to lose weight, unless you start doing physical exercises and accompany it with some natural appetite suppressant, such as saffron extract.