Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Baduspiration

Remember when I said I had been being inspired? Well of course you do it was last week, LOL!
Well that was true.

This lady has really inspired me especially as of late.


"I'm not more daring. I'm more deliberate." (Erykah Badu in this month's (June 2010) Upscale).

Why? Because by viewing her "controversial" video, she called my attention to some artistic things in myself that I had been wanting to do but had not done because of how she terms it "group think".

It's amazing how we really are and what we can really do when we are not constantly thinking of how others perceive us or our body or our minds & hearts (our greatest assets).

Just for a second, I want to point out the fact that her "Window Seat" video controversy was over-rated. On regular TV (not cable) I just saw Scarlett Johansen and Sandra Bullock engaged in an open mouth kiss. Family Guy comes on 2 hours a day and features a known child predator and gay baby. Why in the hell is Erykah's video so shocking? It's because she was nude in a way that did not make her sexually suggestive. She wasn't gyrating or performing for an audience in the video. She seemed to be in control of her actions. No one pulled her clothes off her. To me, this made a statement and was artistically beautiful at the same time.

The song "Window Seat" itself was nice to: for me it was about balance in life and wanting to escape while still wanting to be missed.

If you have not seen the video, please check it out, and also tell me what you think:





I love this song too. It's called "20 Feet Tall". Isn't it a revelation? Who hasn't forgotten their own "height" at some point? It reminds me that we have everything we need already besides I really like the music.

Lyrics & Song below:

"My love what did I do

to make you fall

so far from me

And now I can recall

Cause of the fall

selective memory

Then you you built a wall

a 20 foot wall

so I couldn't see

But if I get off my off my knees

then I might recall I'm 20 feet tall"





I also like Erykah because she is willing to both challenge our perceptions of her and that of Black women at large. Remember when she came out with her first album? Lil Kim and Foxy Brown were at the top of the charts all naked and all erotic. Destiny's Child had just come out with an album. Erykah was a striking contrast to me because as I was a teenager she had locks which I wanted badly and was completely covered. This challenged my thoughts of how I could be viewed in my own little microcosm of high school.

Then, when she responded to her critics about having 3 babies outside of wedlock with 3 different fathers. Again, I was challenged by her response. She said that why wouldn't she give birth to 3 beautiful vessels that she is perfectly capable of taking care of in her own right. I couldn't think of a reason why not after reading her response.

Yay Baduism! on and on...

No comments: