Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2009

Why Michelle Obama's Hair Matters

So I was looking for this really glam photo of Michelle Obama. Afterall, I thought, it couldn't be hard to find. She is so very stylish and lovely. To my dismay, in my search for images, I saw her photo fused together with a photo of a monkey.

I was not surprised but disappointed and hurt.

I was searching for her picture to do a post about all the criticism of her hair and style that seems incessant to me. I was grasping for some clarity about why her hair really mattered. Finding that photo in conjunction with reading this article, has given me some perspective.

Please read the article Why Michelle Obama's Hair Matters and share your thoughts if you'd like.

4 comments:

Aron Ranen said...

Please take a moment to check out my documentary film BLACK HAIR

It is free at youtube. 6 parts including an update from London, England.

It explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Beauty Supply and Hair biz..

The current situation makes it hard to believe that Madame C.J. Walker once ran the whole thing.

I am not a hater, I am a motivator.

Plus I am a White guy who stumbled upon this, and felt it was so wrong I had to make a film about it.

self-funded film, made from the heart.

Can it be taken back?

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

lyndaslocs said...

I think the article is very diplomatic, skirting the more heated debate over natural versus treated hair. I think it is a discussion best held in our own community. Although I wear a natural hairstyle, I don't fret much over the First Lady's hair because it is a reflection of her personal style. Moreover, the larger point is that she is in the White House. Amen.

Naturally Sophia said...

@lyndslocs- Let the church say "amen". LOL! Great comment.

Docs Locs said...

Interesting article.

Personal style, perhaps.

But all tastes are created within a cultural framework. For people of African descent, this cultural framework has been imposed upon us, more often than not.

Thanks to the creator for Sophia and other bloggers and webmasters who are creating safe spaces for Afrikan women to make the hard choice of authenticity.