Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cadillac Records: Worth Seeing

I went to see this movie this weekend about Chess Records in Chicago in the Civil Rights Era. I must say that I didn't want my money back and remained focus through the whole movie.

It is about blues, soul, and the evolution/cross-over of Rock-N-Roll overall. But specifically, it is about the artists at this record label who made the music.

I must say that I am not a fan of Beyonce's music most of the time. I define a fan of an artist or music as someone who would purchase the music or in some way contribute to the artist/music. No, a free CD or download doesn't count, LOL. However, I enjoyed her portrayal of Etta James and can't imagine another known entertainer portraying her. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play/sing my favorite Etta James song.

Sunday Kind of Love:


So, I particularly thought Mos Def's portrayal of Chuck Berry was awesome. I also love the exploration of the characters Howlin' Wolf and Lil' Walter. In short, go see it!

3 comments:

onyxcherry said...

I liked the movie too. Dreamgirls was better than Cadillac Records but Beyonce's performance in Cadillac Records was better than her performance in Dreamgirls, in my opinion.

Laquita said...

Good heads-up - I have been asking around what songs were sung and no one could tell me - I was looking forward to hearing Sunday Kind of Love :o)

DiVA_La Reine said...

I thought it was good, I was afraid it was going to be a musical, but was pleasantly surprised. She did an okay job I was keeping my fingers crossed that she didn't mess up. I also agree Mos Def and Columbus Short were great in their roles.

You should so go and see Seven Pounds, seems we have similar taste in movies and I think you'll love it!