Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

WTF!? Proud to Be Plus in Boots


Ok, this post might read as a rant. I apologize in advance.

Now, I am a pleasantly curvy girl that has packed on some pounds lately. Basically, I went from a 16 to a 12 back to a 14. I think it is because of the hormones the doctor prescribed mainly.

I digress, I was on a fashion site that is like a message board group online. And someone made the comment that women with big legs or women over a size 10 in clothing or shoe shouldn't rather don't need to wear boots because their legs look like "tree trunks".




WTF!?



Here is a recent pic of me in over-the-knee high boots ( I own 2 pairs). I must say I think I look fab!





There are many, many beautiful women who fall in an "obese/overweight" category according to the charts doctor's provide, yours truly included. I passed a fitness test there and swam a mile just this past weekend. The point is not everyone who is skinny is healthy. Not everyone who is fat, plump, or plus is unhealthy.



Concerning the matter of fashion, I think all boots that are knee high or higher can be worn in a tasteful or tasteless way. It's not about who's wearing it but how it is worn. I personally love all fashionistas in general and celebrate women who model and are not a size "0". There is nothing wrong with being a zero mind you, but that size is represented as the norm in media and fashion which could and does often undermine the average size woman's self-esteem.


For the record, according to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average size American woman is 5'3.8" and a size 14. Here is some more data complied in 2004.



The Ladies:


of the SizeUSA survey, 64 percent of women are pear-shaped, while 30 percent are "straight," which means they have little perceptible waist. (I have seen surveys with the opposite result.)


Black women have larger measurements than other women, but they are most likely to have the classic hourglass shape.


Women over 36 are the most likely to have bigger hips.

Black women older than 55 have smaller hips than those ages 45 to 55.

The fashion industry assumes these standard measurements for a woman: 35-inch bust, a 27-inch waist, and 37.5-inch hip. In the real world, women ages 36 to 45 actually average:

White: 41-34-43

Black: 43-37-46
Hispanic: 42.5-36-44
Asian: 41-35-43


So, as we all know, what the fashion industry hands down is usually unrealistic. But occasionally, they get it right. Just look at Tocarra Jones, also a size 14. How can anyone can deny her beauty or proportions?


My hope is that if there is a plus out there contemplating boots reading this, that they will buy a fabulous pair . If there is another garment that you have been told that you are too fat, too skinny, too old, too dark, or too light to wear, hopefully, you will wear it proudly after considering this post. If my aim is too high, I hope all will feel just a tad bit better about their style and their body.

9 comments:

onyxcherry said...

Yes, you did look fabulous in your boots that night.

muslimahlocs said...

i could not agree with you more with a few [comments of my own]@:
"Concerning the matter of fashion... I think...It's not about who's wearing it but how it is worn. I personally love all fashionistas in general and celebrate women who model and are not...[naked]. There is nothing wrong with being [naked] mind you, but that [nakedness] is represented as the norm in media and fashion which could and does often undermine the average [non-naked] woman's self-esteem."

muslimahlocs said...

forgot to mention, that you look phenomenal. keep those self-definitions high!

Naturally Sophia said...

Hi Muslimahlocs! I am always so blessed by your presence. I totally love you adding the issue of "nakedness" to the conversation. I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks for the love and kind words!

DiVA_La Reine said...

You killed the boots! Fierce honey, it's so true, I'm tired of looking at people who feel they are in the know about fashion that look a hotmess!

Meikmeika said...

Here we go again with people making stupid arse comments. I don't even understand the whole tree trunk comment.......huh?

You look perfect in those boots!

Ayoko (my actual middle name) said...

I am DESPERATELY searching for over the knee boots that will go over my big calfs,last week I was on a mad hunt for them and i can never find them, your boots look fierce.

Tamara said...

Wow this is so great! I am also a size 14 and think just like you! Amazing blog!!! BTW where did you gert your boots? please help, that's how i found you searching for plus size boots!! Thanks for sharing!

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks Tamara! try zappos, marina rinaldi, torrid, and type z. Anything that says stretch is helpful. First measure your calves circumference; Ebay and Duo are also great options.