Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Miriam Makeba


Miriam Makeba passed today. She died on stage doing what she loved. How many people get to live and die their dream?

Instead of giving an overview of her life, I am only going to express how I feel this day.

I know she has transitioned to the place her Creator has for her. But, perhaps selfishly, I wish she was here still.

If she were here, maybe I could break away from my 40-45 hour a week job, friends, commitments, and house chores/repairs and ask her what 75 years of being both African and Black is like for one who has danced through Apartheid, lost an only child, married a revolutionary, and lived all over the world. How does one age well and remain as relevant as "Mama Africa" has?

If she were here, maybe she would smile back and tell me that
"Age is getting to know all the ways the world turns, so that if you cannot turn the world the way you want, you can at least get out of the way so you won't get run over. " ~Miriam Makeba



Update: 11/18- I think I will forever be working on this lesson.

No comments: