Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008

18 Months of Sisterlocks

What I have learned?
I have learned that
1.My hair will not look exactly like anyone else's Sisterlocks.

2. My hair is messier than most with Sisterlocks. I love that; I'd like to think my hair is channeling Lisa Bonet's locks.

3. My hair is always done whether I additionally style it or not.
I should have gotten Sisterlocks sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has happened since I got Sisterlocks?

I lost weight. Easy to see it in these photos isn't it? Last week, I didn't eat much as I have adopted veganism. Sisterlocks makes it much easier to get that cardio in!

My hair grew thicker and longer though not much. I had lots of shrinkage. See the difference between October 2007 and November 2008?


Then

Now


My Sisterlocks are in the teenage stage now. They are on the way to maturity. My babies aren't babies anymore.

I want to especially thank Brunsli who was instrumental in changing the way I viewed Sisterlocks. I doubt I would have them without seeing her hair. I used to think women that had looser curls/straighter hair had to have thin Sisterlocks. I was definitely, very wrong.

I also want to thank Carole . We spoke for a very long time when we met and I was touched by her gentle spirit. We also have similar hair textures and similar lock sizes. She gave me awesome advice about combining, splitting, grooming and bunching (the latter particularly affects those with a loose curl pattern.

I look forward to taking over more (DIY) of my hair journey and being more hands on with my hair. More on that later...TTYL

16 comments:

Brown ButtahFly said...

I can definitely tell that your locks have matured and I think they look great! Happy 18 months!

Take Care

Brigitte said...

Your locs are so pretty :)

muslimahlocs said...

you and your locks look fab. your comments @ brunsli and carole were very thoughtful. it is important to thank those who inspire us to be and see our better and more beautiful selves. i remember meeting carole way back when she first got her sisterlocks. her smile is infectous!

iasade said...

You look fabulous and you can tell you have lost weight!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!! I am a recent vegetarian convert (feb of 2008) and have lost a total of 32 pounds with changing my eating and exercising more!

Also, your locs are gorgeous so keep up the good work! I am looking forward to progressing in my journey of braidlocs!!

Nubian1 said...

Yes, there is more of a definition there girl. Looks lovely and you can see the weight difference!
Congrats!

onyxcherry said...

I can definitely see that your locks are maturing nicely. The weight loss is evident as well. 18 months is quite a milestone. Congratulations!

Queen Nat said...

Happy loc-a-versary! You and your locs are beautiful!

Meikmeika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meikmeika said...

**whistling** Look at you!! You and your locks are looking as beautiful as ever!!

wonderdust78 said...

Happy locaversary. Your locs look great.

trevorz said...

Trevorz.com offers you with a wide range of Resveratrol Wine. for you and your family.For more information and business opportunities log on to http://www.trevorz.com/

ikatfabrics said...

Handcrafted Jewelry Boxes are made differently all over the world. However, they can be ordered from anywhere in the world, as many of them are displayed online. To see them online or order Handcrafted Jewelry Boxes log on to: - http://www.uzbekalive.com

Cluizel said...

(crazy late)...but congrats! And you can really see the weight loss in your face. get it! :-) I need to be like you when I grow up

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks Ladies!

Cluizel, Happy New Year! Now if I could only see the weight loss in my stomach,lol! ;)

Harriet said...

Well, I'm new to this site, and I have to say that you look GREAT! you are further solidifying my thought process in terms of going natural again and adopting sister locks.

I'm excited also at the prospect of losing more weight! i used to swim a lot until I started perming my hair consistently. With this possibility, I'll be able to get in that pool more often again!

Thanks for sharing your story and genesis!

Anonymous said...

Bravo, your phrase is useful