Search This Blog

Monday, October 6, 2008

Another Super Natural: My Friend Madge

So, when I think of natural, classic style, I think of Madge. In many respects, her locks emulate her personality: traditional, classy, and sophisticated. I interviewed Madge regarding her locks after feeling a tad bit shameful that I didn't post her gorgeous hair before Docs Locs did on her blog ( the pics there are nice also/check them out).


Now, I must say that I have never styled, retightened, or palm-rolled Madge's hair but would be honored to do so.



Magdalene is an educated, professional woman (with a very active lifestyle) who has had natural hair for over 10 years. Of the 10 years, she's had locks for 3 years. She started with shoulder length natural hair after making the big chop several years prior. She cut off all her perm at one time.


Then, she proceeded with a blow out/flat iron once in a blue moon, between styling in 2 strand twists and with lock extensions. Though she never actually allowed her hair to lock until 3 years ago with the extensions, she researched locks prior to having them installed. She knew about most locking types, but she decided Sisterlocks were not the best choice for her, specifically because of their expense and the time spent before the hair actually locks. She decided to lock with extensions because of the fullness and color added without damaging her hair. Her hair color is mostly black highlighted with brown. Her locks remind me of velvet and are as lovely as she is!!!


Her maintenance schedule includes monthly palm rolling although she has had her hair interlocked on a couple of occasions. Then, she curls her hair on rollers/perm rods and allows them to set under the dryer using a setting lotion. She cuts the ends of her locks off about every month also. Her aim is to eventually cut all the ends with extensions off; she has about 2-3 inches left to cut on most locks. Aren't her locks gorgeous!!!? Seriously, seeing her locks made me regret getting rid of the traditional locks I started in 2002. C'est la vie! By the way, aren't her glasses cute too?
Love Ya Brown Girl! Please feel free to comment on Madge's fabness too. She is quite Fierce!!!

7 comments:

Quietspirit said...

She definitely has a beautiful set of locks. She and her locks are quiet lovely. I know when I first started thinking about getting locks back in the 90's I was impressed by a lady going to Atlanta that I saw in an airport. Her locks remind of those locks.

Brown ButtahFly said...

Her locks are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

onyxcherry said...

Madge is beautiful inside and out. Great interview Sophia.

Anonymous said...

I am so flattered. You are a gem Sophia! And you did the interview without writing notes! I am swooming over here. Thanks for the compliments everyone! Thanks for allowing me in the circle despite my lack of sistalocks. :)
M

Anonymous said...

Um, I meant swooning! I can spell despite the fact that Cherry and Sophia conspire to take my Scrabble crown. Natural is always better if you're brave enough to embrace yourself....

Anonymous said...

Michelle OBAMA!

S0uthernGirl said...

Madge's locks and glasses are uber fab :)

Ummm... I'm still trying to figure out where the Michelle Obama comment above me came in lol.