Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tagged! Things from my First Week, September 08

I was tagged by my favorite vegan blogger . Here are the rules. I don't tag other people directly; but if you haven't been tagged or would like to participate, consider yourself tagged by me.

Here are the rules:
1) Link to the person that tagged you: Meikmeika
2) Post the rules on the blog
3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.


1. I just watched Jasmine Guy's directorial debut of
I read the book after college but never quite comprehended all of it until I say it performed. I have always loved the part that says, "Find God. Find god in yourself and love her fiercely."


However, I must say my favorite part of the play is this chapter:
Somebody Almost Walked Off Wid Alla My Stuff - Ntozake Shange
It's about a woman(the lady in green in the play) that lets a man have her literally and the "stuff" she is made out of...she is left a "simple bitch" as she put it. And he doesn't even know he has "her stuff". It is something I see often with my sisters. And then, the icing on the cake is when the performer acknowledges that she watched her stuff walk away.

Please read this book and/or see this play when you are able.

Here is the cast of the Atlanta ensemble:

2. I got a new mattress for free!


Wanna know how I got it? I went to Atlanta Craigslist (site that post free ads for those who don't know) and found an extra firm orthopedic mattress for free. The guy just wanted me to pick it up myself. So for half a tank of gas, I got a free mattress with no stains, still in the plastic.



I have been needing a bed for sometime. It seems that my mattresses had some notorious sag in the middle. However, I discovered that this was not really the case. Really the bed frame was warped and busted. So, I am thrift shop searching for a gently used bed frame. If you are in Atlanta and have one to sell or donate, please e-mail me.

3. I recently got laser hair removal.


LOL...for my face! As many of you know from prior posts, I made peace with my 'stache ( Naturally Sophia's 'Stache ) and PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). But then, I got a painful ingrown hair/cyst under my chin. Ewwh! It got me to think more seriously about the future of my 'stache which was quickly becoming a beard. So, I decided to find a doctor that specifically treats PCOS and to find a laser hair removal practice that specializes in Black skin. Fortunately, I found both.

The practice I went to uses a YAG laser which is good for dark skin. And now, one week after the treatment, my hair mostly has fallen out on my face. The discoloration still shows but the hair is over 50% gone. YAY! I made an appointment to see a dermatologist to fade the dark marks though I have been using a fade cream for the scars from the hairs NOT the laser hair removal.

What did it feel like? It felt like someone burning your hairs out while tweezing them. And I had the 2 days of burnt hair smell in my nose that I used to have when I flat ironed my hair. I guess all is well that ends well.

4. My new MAC goody! I am in love with Mineralize SkinFinish Duo. My shade is dark (caramel) with a gold shimmer. They come in 5 shades tat get very close to your complexion. You can layer it with Studio Fix and/or Studio Tech.

If you are looking for a bronzer and foundation in one, here's your item. One side of it gives you the oh so popular mineral make-up finish and the other is a shimmery pigment to bronze and highlight wherever you'd like. I am in love with it!
And don't forget to apply it with the right brush.

5. Atlanta Black Gay Pride Weeekend- Labor Day Weekend This is Frenchie Davis from American Idol and Eva the Diva from ANTM.

This event just past in Atlanta, and I saw a Sisterlocks sister I had seen before at the Natural Hair Show. There was a slight exception to our crossing this time. She was arm in arm with her female lover. She looked at me as if asking me not to notice her or say anything at all. So, I didn't. But what is the big deal? Many Black women are lesbians. Of course, there are sisterlocked women who are lesbians! Why didn't she want me to acknowledge her? I mean I know why. I just wish she knew that I respect her right to privacy.



6. HIV- I found out that another person in my circle is HIV +. That sucks! I still have bad memories of one of my best friend's sister who died from AIDS related illnesses at 19. I encourage everyone to know that you regardless of your race, sexual orientation, and marital status are at risk for HIV. Have protected sex and get tested regularly. There is no look to HIV or AIDS.

15 comments:

Meikmeika said...

You see, this is why I tagged you. I knew you'd post some interesting information.

I will definitely be looking for the book you mentioned. I so can't wait to get to Atlanta...I would have loved to see that play.

LHR is the best option for hair removal and the least hassle. Before you know it, you'll be hairless in no time.

It's also possible the Sisterlock sista you saw had a very possessive and jealous girlfriend and didn't want to deal with the questions that would arise if you acknowledged her. Then again, it's possible she wanted to keep her girlfriend under wraps....who knows..

Brown ButtahFly said...

What they giving out free stuff? Maybe I need to check out Craigslist! Sounds like and interesting book/play. Take Care

Allecia said...

Good tagging! Congrats on your free bed but so sorry to hear about your HIV+ friend. I'm sure he or she is so glad for your love and support as I'm sure it was difficult to let others know.

JenChin said...

As always, the hook up will come from Sophia, naturally :) Didn't know about the FREE stuff, guess which site I am going to after this LOL. Love your blog, very intriguing.

Wendi aka "Wendosa" said...

Hey There,
I have not been trolling the blogs or posting for months now but what a nice welcome back as I looked at your page! Girl you are something else. I love the "denim" on your page. Great tagged info. Keep doing you. You have a gift! One of these days I will show my face again. LOL

Carmennc said...

I'm sorry to hear about your HIV+ circle member. People do live healthy lives and I hope that person does as well.

You know I have laser hair removal all because of PCOS. Ideal Image is my friend. To get my booty done - $1800. Rats.

Naturally Sophia said...

@Carmen- LMAO! For my face it was $890. That shyt is expen$ive. Whoa! Beauty IS Pain.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm H. and I work in a company interested in blog advertising. I found your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back at k5ino@bigstring.com, indicating your blog for reference, and I'll send you back pricing details, guidelines and processes. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

H.

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

I just love the new look of you blog!! It it awesome..I got a new mattress almost a year ago and sad to say that I had to purchase mine...I want to be like you when I grow up!!

Xcentric Pryncess said...

I also love the new look----hit me up when you get back to blogging sis..

Smell Goods Lady said...

My sisterfriend told me about the play, I would love to see it, but will be reading the book.

Sorry to hear about your friend, so young, so young.

Free mattress! In plastic! Gotta love it!

Beautiful blog. Found you by way of CarmenNC.

Itiel, smellgoodslady

SeZ said...

Great Post, Meikmeika was right when tagging you.
Ouch! On the hair removal but if it makes you feel good I say why not.
Is Eva from ANTM? Cause I'd like to know if I have a chance in my after life LOL.

DiVA_La Reine said...

I have a "stache" chin hair, side burns...I'm just a hairy chickita...I wounder if I have PCOS, how would one find out? I was thinking about getting lazer hair removal but dang that would be my entire college tuiton x4 lol! I had a facial waxing once but I didn't like the way it looked...really didn't like the light spots. I just let them be and no one ever really says anything but my close friend and family and it's just normal teasing, but all the hair is not the business. I look like that gorilla LOL!

Naturally Sophia said...

Thank you all for visiting and commenting. I appreciate the e-mails I received about not posting for so long also.

@Diva- If you have poly cystic ovaries, you have PCOS. The Doctor can tell with an ultrasound (internal). Also, if you have gone months, years without a cycle, you could have PCOS.

DiVA_La Reine said...

Thanks, I have my bi annual check up this month so I'll make sure to ask my doctor. I don't think I have any of those symptoms but you never know.