Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Lock Stages and Sisterlock Sizes

I received some more questions about Sisterlocks in regard to sizing. When I answered the questions previously, a young lady who was unfamiliar with locks e-mailed me about my hair being locked. She asked me was my hair locked now and basically about stages and sizes.

I have Sisterlocks that are in the baby stage now. I still have baby locks after one year because of my hair texture and also because I used to use a silkening shampoo with detanglers in it as well as hair products with shine boosters that soften the hair.

In order for hair to lock, the cuticle must be as rough as possible. It is important to avoid things like conditioners and standard shampoos so that your hair will lock promptly. When I had traditional locks, my hair locked in the first year. I also went several months in between washes and used no detanglers in my hair along with no products.

Baby Locks- Depending upon your hair texture, this phase lasts from 12 weeks to 2 years. Soft, fine hair will take longer to lock than coarse, curly or kinky hair. In my honest opinion, the small sizing of Sisterlocks allows hair to stay in each of the 3 lock stages for longer than with traditional locks.



Onyx Cherry here in the photo with me has teenage locks. But guess what? We have about the same number of locks (500). You can see the differences in size are attributed to the hair texture and density and also the stage of the locks. My parting size is medium in the back and small in the front but my lock size is small behind and micro in front. Onyx Cherry has small parting in front with large parting in back. However, her lock size is small in the front and medium in the back because of her hair texture and lock stage.

Immature or Teenage Locks- This phase can last anywhere from three months to 2 or 3 years. How long this lasts is dependent on your hair texture. This is the phase where many people get frustrated. By knowing this is coming, hopefully you can avoid this frustration. During this phase, you may get budding or matting. The reason locks in this stage are called teenage locks is they tend to be unruly. Budding occurs often when a pea shaped knot forms near the end of the lock. You may also notice little balls of hair that gather at the very end of the lock. I have heard people refer to this stage as the caterpillar stage and they have used hats as their “cocoons”. I do not think the teenage stage is anything to be ashamed of. Locks take work, time and patience and this is why you can be proud of your achievement once you have achieved a full head of beautiful locks.


You should pop your locks apart from one another as often as necessary because they have a tendency to creep or crawl. Crawling occurs when the hair from one lock begins to lock into another. If you do not continuously keep the hair separated, you will eventually have to pull it apart at the scalp risking weakening the lock and possibly leading to breakage. This can be avoided by making separating the locks part of a weekly routine. See if the locks are crawling and if they are, gently separate them. After washing is when the locks will have a tendency to crawl. So, handle them gently while shampooing. I also pull my locks down gently to combat bunching. You can begin to use oils and moisturizers during this middle stage. But, do not overdo it.

Mature Locks- You should expect your locks to reach full maturity sometime after the first year. At this point, maintenance becomes easier. Your locks may reach full maturity anywhere from the end of the first year up until the end of the second year. This does not mean your locks are maintenance free. And, they may still require quite a bit of time before they take on their final shape. But, you will be past the trials and tribulations of the teenage months. Mature dreadlocks are the strongest and require less frequent grooming. If your hair is soft, you may continue to experience frizzies and will have to do more maintenance than those with coarse hair. Mature dreadlocks can be washed and conditioned as frequently as you like. Some wash theirs daily while others choose to wait at least 3 weeks. Just make sure that whatever regimen you develop that you avoid dry scalp by moisturizing, conditioning and/or using hot oil treatments. At night you could put your mature dreads in a satin scarf, cap or sleep on a satin pillow to prevent damage caused by friction while sleeping and to maintain a proper moisture balance.

Here is a photo of Sisterlocks that are mature:


7 comments:

Meikmeika said...

Another great post..I'm pretty sure I'm at the mature stage cause my hair locked pretty quickly..hhmm?

I need to make sure I send anyone and everyone asking about Sisterlocks to your extremely informative blog.

Nubian1 said...

Yes your blog confirms everything I already know and I have just this minute added your blog to my favorites.

Am about to start the journey again with sisterlocks!

Remain positive!

Samaritan said...

Accordingly I say to YOU, Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU. For everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking it will be opened. Indeed, which father is there among YOU who, if his son asks for a fish, will perhaps hand him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he also asks for an egg, will hand him a scorpion? Therefore, if YOU, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to YOUR children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!”

*>Jewels<* said...

Great post. I've been planning on getting my Sisterlocks but wondered how long it would take for them to mature. Thanks for the great post.

Bajan Lily said...

Thank you so much!

I have been trawling through blogs all over the place trying to find an explanation for 'budding' and 'bunching' and what to expect as my loc journey continues - and here it was all along!

Once again you're not only an inspiration - you're like my knight in shining armour lol! I am going to post a link to this one from my blog.
THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such themes. I like to read stories like this. BTW add some pics :)

mosete said...

I'm glad I ran across your blog. My sisterlocks were installed on 7/13//10. I dislike them b/c I have gray hair mix and the gray is curly. My hair always look unkept even after it is tighten. Fuzzy with stray strands, I know I'm in the baby stage, but pls encourage me to hang in there before I cut them off. Thanks