Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nina Simone: a Natural Inspiration

Nina Simone (Eunice Waymon born 2-21-1933) has always been an inspiration for me since I first discovered her music and unapologetic Afrocentric style. Her voice and its character take me to her mood and has made me laugh out loud, dance, and moved me to tears. She was a multi-lingual classically trained musician. I can't accurately express her talent or how she still manages to "put a spell on" me. Whenever I need some natural inspiration, watching a concert performance or viewing one of her many photos showing her Afrocentric and sexy style are enough to guide me through my wardrobe and into my inner self.




Ne Me Quitte Pas (Don't Leave Me) is one of my all time favorites.



And her version of Here Comes the Sun just truly epitomizes sublime as they say.





Her remains were spread over Africa after succumbing to breast cancer in 2003. A piece of Nina will always remain in my heart.

3 comments:

Quietspirit said...

Yes, Nina Simone was a natural inspiration and I enjoyed her music too. If only more of us would embrace our natural selves and stop worrying about externally imposed so called beauty standards our lives would be free from one less stress.

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks for your comment Quiet Spirit. You are so right that we should liberate our lives from imosing standards. Will you be present in Philly this year?

BronzeBuckaroo said...

Nina was a beautiful woman to me. She wasn't afraid to be herself. She wasn't afraid to express her Afrocentric self in wonderful glory.