Search This Blog

Friday, June 13, 2008

What about Your Friends?


Are your curly/kinky hair texture friends natural? I noticed that my social circle of permed women outside of work have been on the steady decline over the last few years. My best friend still rocks a relaxer, and her hair is quite healthy (i.e. no split ends, no breakage). But other than her, I can count the womyn I hang out with on one hand who chemically straighten their hair outside of work.

I have made so many friendships recently that started with hair, Sisterlocks, or a conversation on transitioning to natural hair. Have you?

The weird thing is that I spend more time with and have better relationships with the women in my life now as a whole; and in general, those friends are without chemically straightened hair, excluding my best friend. My best friend is still my best friend, and I love her dearly.

Is it a case of birds of a feather flock together? What about your friends?

5 comments:

Naturally Free said...

I think it's a case of birds of a feather flock together and we have so much to talk about/share with each other. We also don't have to worry about hurting each others feelings with our opinions of natural vs relaxed.

Lakia said...

My circle of friends are half and half. We all have our own unique style.

Meikmeika said...

The majority of my curly/kinky hair textured friends are permed..

onyxcherry said...

All of the new friends that I have made since moving to Atlanta have locks and natural hair. I have one permed friend but she was originally introduced through family and we don't have as much in common as I do with my natural haired friends.

Luscious Librarian said...

I'm the first in my group, but I don't think the last. I think it takes a bit of courage to buck the system and go your own way, aesthetically speaking. Once sistas see how free you can be they're inspired to try it.