Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Naturally, Sophia May Do the Big Chop with the Big Move

I WANT TO CUT IT ALL OFF AND MOVE TO MIAMI!


Hey there blogger land! Lol! I think I want to cut it all off similar to the model here (photo credits to zoomshoes.co.za). Why? you might ask. It just doesn't feel free anymore. I have grown a little weary of always having to explain my hair to admirers and inquirers. In addition, I am tired of the judgment that comes with the hairstyle, both negative and positive. I just want to be free. For instance, I love my Sisterlock sisters but do not agree with many of the predominant views in the locked community in general. People see my hair and assume I am identical in thinking to some persons with locked hair. Maybe I am finally over my hair or realize that I am not my hair. I feel locks in my hair has somehow locked my personality and freedom. This is just a gut feeling! ALTHOUGH I can be impulsive, I don't know that I will get the nerve to grab the scissors.

Oh and the big move? Well, I was asked if I wanted to do yet another position in Miami with my company. The next day, the initial hiring manager told me the first position had never been cancelled but rather delayed until spring. My manager told me it had cancelled. Mistake or strategy? You decide. Anyway, I took my house off the market at the time. I am working on getting it back into real estate listings by tomorrow. Now I think I want to rent it out via Section 8. Not my first instinct, but I am very eager to move. I really don't want to get rid of the property but I want a change in pace. the benefits of taking this job greatly outweigh the cons at this point. Keep me in your prayers please and share your thoughts. :)

13 comments:

Renea said...

If you rent through the Section 8 program, you'll know for sure that that income arrives on time each month.

Allecia said...

If you were to cut all of your hair off, you'd be viewed as similar to the type of Black woman who has a bald head and the "views" that go along with that type of person. Besides which, your hair is beautiful!

n'Drea said...

Whatever you decide to do, I'll support you. Just make sure that you don't act impulsively.

SeZ said...

Sophia: your hair is your hair, bald or not so others should just worry about their own heads. You ever notice that most judgmental people are without the things they choose to judge.
So really it becomes a wash.

Section 8 is a thing to think about before doing, I deal with this also monthly myself. Some things to consider is screening. The state will send you only really two families information for you to choose who resides at your property. They pay you depending on your location, taxes and given rental rate. Also you have to be within reach, however not local. You need to check on your own property at least once a month. Any code violations, fines and bills received without your knowledge will be on hold by address alone and will come to you. So it is all a things to consider and yes the check will be in the mail for sure monthly for the rent. But if you ever plan to take back the property for resale. You just want to make sure the renters want a home and not a spot to post up.

Afrodite said...

Don't cut your hair! I love sisterlocks. The only thing that stops me from getting loc'd up is my volatile personality.

I like to change my hair pretty frequently.

muslimahlocs said...

you are as free as you choose to be, naturally, sophia...with or without hair of any particular style.
i'm rather suprised to read this given the tone of your blog (still waiting on that womanism post by the by).
miami is such a great city. i hope it works out for you this time.

cheleski68 said...

wow, you have alot going on. i can understand the hair thing and wanting to be free. why not go for a short look as you transition down? especially if you're starting a job. i 2 grow weary of talking about the hair thing. my hair is not a judgment of anyone,it's a choice and i feel others stand in conviction and making excuses when i'm in their presence.I'm not sure about your thoughts on 'other' locked mentality-but personally speaking, i never intended to lock nuffin. I locked bc my loose hair was damaged from styling and it was cumbersome to detangle etc.to prevent relaxing, locks was the alternative to the freedom i experience.i locked without judgment and continue to flourish in that freedom.

the move? yes go child. go. Blaq was on that journey recently and i made a leap last year. Grow, move, learn, research. Continue to put your ducks in a row. there will come a time when the window of opportunity closes and you will not be the chosen one. so continue to position yourself and dont let a house hold you back. our home sold 3mos after we moved, it was a leap of faith-and now we have a testimony.
this is an exciting time for you! feel free to fly! life is short and then you die.(blunt but true)

~malaikablu~ said...

Greeting sister. What a lovely blog... I see I need to pull out the popcorn and get caught up ;-)

Your sisterlocks are beautiful. I can totally relate to change and wanting to be free. I had locks previously for over 5 years and decided to cut them off. Although I thought about my precious locks every day after, I knew it was the right decision because it gave me the opportunity to experience my loose napps for a few years.

Just know that no matter what you decide, you can never control ones perception of you no matter how much you change your appearance. Be sure and do it because it is truly what you want and not because of out side entities. ~Peace

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks for the positivity. :)

Keisha "Kitten" Isaacs said...

I've had locks for the past 3 years and it's starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes I feel like grabbing the scissors, but I've made a verbal declaration that I would cut my locks whenever I become pregnant.....I personally miss my afro

CHIC NOIR said...

I say think long and hard before you cut your hair. Even with a lose natural,bald or relaxer people will have their opinions.

Docs Locs said...

Oh! Fight the feelin'! Just having seen you Saturday in all your SL'd glory I am surprised!

...but do ya thang, do ya thang (though) I would agree, not impulsively!

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

If moving to miami will free you and your spirit...I say do it...You are a free spirit who will prosper wherever you go....Pray and Pray and Pray for an answer...Good luck!!! and keep us updated