Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Atlanta Natural Hair Show 2008

The Natural Hair Show was this weekend. I missed the Sisterlocks luncheon. "Hated It." I missed my opportunity to meet Goodnapps in person and countless others as I didn't see many bloggers at the show.
I did see Carole Pearson of Coils N Curls. She has amazing spirit and very similar hair texture and density. I officially have severe lock envy. I hope my locks mature as evenly, small, and consistently beautiful as her have. She has fullness for days; Love the volume! She also has an amazing spirit and is very kind she gave me a poster with an original song she wrote. I will post this in another entry.

I did purchase lock loops. I will give my reviews on them as soon as I use them.





But I did meet (drum roll) Queen Afua . She is wonderful and actually said she was thinking of getting Sisterlocks. Wow! She recommended that I do her 21 day program which is similar to the 21 day Martha's Vineyard fast as a treatment for PCOS. Anyhow, I purchased her newest book and received it autographed. I haven't decided what I want to do, but the conference call was tonight. It started an hour late and was very product intensive. I think, since fasting is all natural, one shouldn't need to purchase products from company x or z. I know you need juicers. But what's the difference between buying supplements from the store or a particular group. Thoughts? Anyone have detox tips?


The lovely style I am rocking was created by Chikodi (top) and retightened by Julia (bottom). I love this style.







The hair show featured an entertaining presentation on natural hair through history starting with Adam and Eve, many vendors that offered one of a kind jewelry and natural products, and of course the competition. I purchased Jamaican Mango & Lime Shine-A-Loc for the gloss factor as well as Jane Carter Solutions Nourish which contains shea butter for my loose ends.


But back to the hair show/competition:
At this years show, 3rd place went to this stylist and model; I think the stylist's name is Marva.

The 2nd place went to the amazing stylist duo Thando Kafele and Amber.


But the 1st place went to NaturalTrend Setters. They were a diverse group who showed a model with relaxer for the first time in show history, a model with natural looking extensions, and the trophy winning mane of beautifully styled traditional locks.

Enjoy the slide show! More photos later so stay tuned!

20 comments:

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

I wished I could have joined you...Those hairstyles are off the chain...I especially like the mohawk..I have to try that this summer.

muslimahlocs said...

say what! you met queen afua. how great. she has got to make a living so don't be too hard on her for trying to push product ;-)
what beautiful heads of hair! i met carole many, many years ago with her mother at a sisterlocks homecoming. i think her sisterlocks were relatively new at that time with permed ends if i am not getting to old to recall details like that. it's nice to see how beautifully they have matured. thanks for the many pictures.
all the best.

Cluizel said...

ooohhhh...fun fun!

Great Pictures!

Afrodite said...

Oooooh! I'm so jealous. I so wanted to go to this. There's a hair show in LA but it's not a natural hair show, boo! I think I still may go.

Goodnapps said...

OMG - I don't know how we missed each other. On Monday, I was only at the show for about an hour right before they announced the winners for the loc contest. But you have pics of everyone else I saw there. That's too bad we missed each other. Hopefully at the next one.

I love that awesome awesome hairstyle. You are rocking it something fierce!

SistaLocd said...

I so love your hair!

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pics!

ingridspeak said...

Count yourself blessed you live in a place where they are open and support natural hair. Girl, every hair show we have in my neck of the woods featured hair that has been processed, fried dyed and laid to the side with enough weave to to make you wonder if there are any Koreans with hair longer than my thumb.

I Loved the pics! Thanks for sharing.

SeZ said...

It is wonderful that something like that is available for you to attend near by. Those pictures were wonderful. Damm that looked like some fun.

Naseema said...

What an awesome experience!!! Your hair rocks, love the style.

Brigitte said...

These photographs are beautiful.

CarmenNC said...

You know what would have really made those styles hot? Re-designed Mean Green items, lol. Stop my blog to check out some designs I came up from your suggestions. Thank you!

brunsli said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing.

Lakia said...

My consultant traveled down to the hairshow, I know it had to have been amazing. Where did you get those earrings?

Naturally Sophia said...

@ Lakia- The earrings were .99 cents at the Korean beauty supply store. Don't you love it when yu find a great buy for less?

Aya said...

Wow, what beautiful heads of hair on display. Enjoyable view and read. Also, I have tagged you. Visit my blog for directions.

Meikmeika said...

Oooohhh!! Love your hair!! I know being in the presence of all those natural heads must have been amazing. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

rmcandlelight said...

I was at the atlanta hair show and I saw so many ladies with sisterlocks. I've been only sisterlocked 5 months. From time to time I comment on lockitup@yahoo.com

Bygbaby said...

Great photos! The event looked really fun.

Bygbaby

Maryee said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great shots and re-cap!

dreamangel75 said...

Wow! Many beautiful hairstyles in these photos!