Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tagged! Random Things About My Hair

I was tagged by many of my good blogger friends. And lately, I have been more obsessed than normal about my hair. So this go around of random things will be about (my) hair.


1. I really miss my afro. I love my locs and I don't miss combing it. But I miss my afro pick and huge fro. When I picked my hair out it would make my fro look about 17" tall because my hair is long. It was always at once a political statement and an eye catcher.





2. People still ask me if I have a weave. No matter how I have worn my hair since weave became popular, I have been asked if my hair is a weave. Regardless of whether I wear an afro, braids, plaits, traditional locs or Sisterlocks, I still get asked if I have a weave. UGH! No, I do not have a weave!

3. I am so over length. I mean does it really matter? I have included some photos of myself with super long hair. This was all my hair at 18 and at 6 years old. Even as a baby, my hair was long. The number 1 thing women of color have always commented on is the length of my hair. An Indian woman once implied that I had to be "mixed" to have hair that long. Comments like that infuriate me because they are ignorant; I have met women of every racial group with long hair of various textures. And what American do you know that is not "mixed"? I feel hair is just hair, and my hair has always been long by chance. If that were not the case, that would be ok too. Besides, the longer my hair is, the less I do with it as far as styling. I apologize for the quality of the photos.









4. I have been really noticing my Sisterlocks size... mainly because people point it out to me. When I am around others with sisterlocks, most people comment on the size because my locs appear smaller partially because of the texture. I have micro locks in the front, small in the middle, and medium in the very back. i have split some of my locs from certain consultants who combined my hair in the past. I have a little over 500 locs now and my hair texture is fine making the locs appear even smaller than someone with thicker hair of the same parting size would have. I took some more pictures for a comparison. In the front, it would take 3-4 locs to make one toothpick.




5. My retightenings take about 3 1/2 hours and I go every 5 weeks. Julia is super fast when we aren't joking around like we often do. I just love her.


6. I choose to have a lot of loose hair left out of my locks at the ends. As a result, some of the ends of locs are locking rather largely and traditionally. My remedy is to pick the ends out. I enjoy having loose ends as I did with traditional locs. One woman told me that leaving my hair out is not accepting my natural hair texture. Whateva! I have never had a relaxer and have been natural since before I understood what natural meant. I just enjoy the waves on my ends and it is what I intended to do since way before I even started this set of locs.

7. I am so over the whole Sisterlocks versus other types of locs, sistahs and bros want to discuss (read argue) about. The main thing is your hair is on your head and how you choose to style it is up to you. At the same time,how I chooose to style my hair is up to me. I mean people have implied my locs aren't real, that if I have never had short hair I haven't gotten the experience,that latching has changed the natural "o" curl pattern (which my curl pattern is a loose 's" or "z" anyway). I hate it when people want to teach me about my hair as if they created it and/or the concept of natural hair. People should understand that my natural hair has been on my head since I was in the womb and never been chemically straightened. I know my hair better than any person on this Earth. Furthermore, there are enough heads to have every type of natural hair imaginable. I choose sisterlocks and all yuh have a choice what locking techinique you would like if you want locs.


I am also tired of the whole cost/maintenance conversations. Sisterlocks are not cheap initially, but over time it evens out. And there is a plethora of info out there about maintenance as well as other locking methods. If you can not afford the maintenance, then you can maintain them yourself rather easily if you are somewhat crafty and patient. I also don't spend lots of money on products/styling aids. I know that Sisterlocks overtime cost no more than going to the salon every 2 weeks.

16 comments:

n'Drea said...

Unlike you, I don't miss my loose hair, lol. But like you, I'm so over the discussion of SLs vs. other types of locks, as well as the cost/maintenance topic. I'm just focusing on learning to have a relationship with my hair now (weird as that may sound, but it seemed I was always at odds with it), and enjoying what it's doing naturally.

Cluizel said...

OHMIGOODNESS!!! You had a lot of hair! Wow. I don't think I will be over my length...ever. lol. I have never had hair touching my shoulders so length is my thing...

I don't even entertain the locks vs. locks conversations...seriously? is it that important. I don't have the time

Meikmeika said...

I feel you on missing the loose hair. I miss my afro puffs too.. but I wouldn't want to go back to washing and styling it though.

My boyfriend and all his sisters have either had or still have long hair and they are over it as well... I guess once you've had it it's not that big a deal. I've also met many long locked brothas and sistas who are also over the length. I myself have never had hair past my shoulders so I'm looking forward to that but seeing how I don't do much with my hair now, what will I do then? I just want to be able to look nice with a ponytail...

Locks are locks are locks are locks. Will there ever be a time we're just happy to know a person is not using chemicals in their hair and accepting their hair in whatever natural state they choose?

muslimahlocs said...

re: #7
ditto!

knotsnlocks said...

that...my friend...was a plethora of hair!

SistaLocd said...

Wow your hair was and still is beautifuyl! I only had dreams of my hair being that long.

Goodnapps said...

5 - can we say jealous...

7 - let the church say Amen!

DJT said...

your hair is gorgeous!!!!

BeautyinBaltimore said...

Wow, you really do have long hair. I hate the "you must be mixed because...." conversations myself.

Lola Gets said...

I did a & things meme in a recent post, but I made mine a "Black History Month" meme - check it out!

L

Tra said...

Very good post! So does it take alot of time for your to comb out your ends? I am glad you are not buying the "its not natural" thing because I like it (-: !!!

As for being "over" length, I have had hair passed my shoulders but never to my bra strap (lol)...maybe one day I will get over it too (-:

Naturally Sophia said...

n'drea- it's not weird, it's only natural to appreciate what God gave you

all who commented on length- I feel you. And society puts pressure on all women to have long hair. I see women with cancer who once had long hair, and it makes the length of my own hair seem utterly unimportant. I feel getting to chemical free hair is a journey and so is getting over length.

meikmeika- you're right about your boyfriend and his syblings. My family is the same way.

knotsnlocks- thanks for stopping by

djt- thanks. Your locs are beautiful too

goodnapps & lola- long time, no hear! stop by more please. I miss all yuh

beautyinbaltimore- I started telling people I am mixed with black when they ask, I love their expression

Tra- when you get that bra length to waist length hair, you will be running for the scissors. It's hot and hell to wash, dry, style, and keep people's hands out of it, lol!

On combing the ends out- not many of my ends have locked, so it doesn't take long. I really don't like the bunching on the ends if the end is way bigger than the loc around the scalp. I just take a needle and pick the knot out until it feels like the same size between my fingers.

When I had traditional locks, I combed the ends out and it took longer because more of my hair was locked. It was kinda like Lisa Bonet's but shorter.

SeZ said...

Firstly I love Lisa Bonet's locs and how the ends are left out. Secondly I agree with you on people assuming that if your hair is seen as good that it must be a weave. I knew a girl in college where a female touched her hair with Nair or some kind of hair remover on her hand. My friend who is black and still has very long hair had to cut five inches off at the time because of it. So lenght for some is important.

Naturally Sophia said...

@Sez- That is totally a violation. The girl that touched your friend's hair should have went to jail. I know that people think length is important. But it isn't really. It does not determine anything about you other than you prefer long hair. It is a non-issue.

Afrodite said...

I love the hair! Don't let anyone try to tell you anything about your natural hair.

My hair has a lot of curl definition and I get a lot of crap from people telling me that natural black hair doesn't curl that way and I must have a texturizer.

Oh really?

It's Me...Phylecia...Remember??? said...

Some days I miss my afro as well. But when I think about the shedding and the work to get it big, I get over it pretty quickly. It did make me stand out a bit. I have not had to deal with SL vs real locks. I am not in contact with a lot of locked people to have the conversation. Mainly, I have to tell people that "I can wash my hair," "Not all people with locks don't bathe," "No, locks are not a mistake." ;-)