Search This Blog

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tagged! 6 Things that Happened This Year

The Rules:

1) Link to the person that tagged you. I was most recently tagged by Wendi aka "Wendosa" , Ebony , and dewdrop. Thanks Ladies!
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
4) Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. Because I think we have all been tagged, I am not naming specific people to tag. But if you haven't, please accept this invitation and consider yourself tagged.
5) Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


1. I found out that I have anemia. This is something that my mother has always said. However, this is the first time I have been diagnosed. I have been negligent in making the healthy transition to a vegan diet. I have not taken my supplements at all this week. Plus, I have not eaten nearly enough food containing vitamin C, iron, B12, and folic acid. I am working on a better plan to make sure I am getting all the nutrients I need.2. I am making the transition to vegan. It is a hard journey because I love cheese. I have stopped eating everything with animal products except cheese. I am searching for a realistic tasting cheese substitute. So far, my search has been unsuccessful.



3. I have lost weight. I went from a size 16 to a size 12 last month. I have been more active, but mainly I don't eat junk anymore. No white flour, no white anything, no processed foods, and definitely no meat at all.




4. I am converting a bedroom in my basement to a closet. I am purging lots of clothes, but I think the space could best be used for my things. Since I have the room, why not. Mostly, the space just has boxes that are still unpacked. I want to have everything out in the open. With only things that don't need to be iron, folded in my bedroom dressers. I have some really cool ideas for the space. If you have some ideas, please share them. The room also has a large closet. Well, I know I definitely want spiral racks and a cool shoe chair like this.



5. I am not going to Miami. My company cancelled the position and ended my mojito filled dreams of swimming in the ocean right on South Beach. Well, I like Atlanta too; and I don't have to sell my house which was turning into an overwhelming project.


6. For the first time ever, I have a 401K. Could I be an official adult now? Well, my parents say not until I'm 26. lol!

10 comments:

Allecia said...

Congratulations on losing weight and becoming a vegan. It definitely requires more willpower than I have. I'm anemic too. My iron levels are always low but I'm trying really hard to remember to take my vitamins daily.

Luscious Librarian said...

I'm 26 and it there isn't a celebration of adulthood. Most of the time I forget I'm over a quarter century old.

Congrats on the transition to vegan. I tried a vegan diet for about 3 days and almost passed out so I wish you the best of luck.

muslimahlocs said...

have you tried veganrella? congrats of changing your eating habits and the resultant weight loss. i am anemic too. some days it's tiring. i was just @ to ask @ miami. oh well, better things may be in store right where you are.

Meikmeika said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and transitioning to veganism! Cheese is one of the hardest items to sub and I came across Follow Your Heart cheese but it still doesn't compare. I also tried tofutti cheese slices, which were amazing and the closest to what I think real cheese tastes like but I have yet to find it it my area. I wish you the best of luck on this one cause it takes some getting used to not having dairy products. A Multivitamin is also very important. I know Veglife makes a vegan multivitamin that includes iron.

SistaLocd said...

Hey Girl
I can relate to so many topics you listed. Lets see...
I am also anemic but due to the fact that my red blood cells are just to small, and so are my mom's it's genetic.
I love cheese to it's the onbly reason why I haven't turned 100% vegan yet either, I'm working on it though. If you find some good cheese substitute let me know.
Congrats on the weight loss, keep doing your thang.
Sorry they cancelled your position. Maybe in the future!
Good job on having a 401K I have one as well and it's amazing how much money can add up. I wish I was able to save money on my own, but hey if getting it taken directly out of my pay check is the only way then so be it. Now I just need to get back to work so I can continue on, lol!
Take Care

Renea said...

I'm sorry you're not moving to Miami because I was looking forward to living vicariously through you! I am also b12 deficient which confounds me and my doctor because I am not vegetarian or vegan. So far I've been getting booster shots, but I read the sublingual drops are just as effective.

SeZ said...

I just read about your weight loss Sophia that is wonderful news. Keep up the good work so you can be rocking those hips come summertime and swinging those locks at the same time :-).

Tamra said...

Hi Sophia,

I'm not trying to get up in your business about the anemia, but I've been chronically anemic too up to now, and my GYN thinks that part of the problem is fibroids (and the resulting heavy menses). If you haven't been checked, you might want to mention it to your doctor.

Naturally Sophia said...

Hi Tamra. I have PCOS and naturally have a period only around once or twice a year without hormones (pills). I am certain I am not anemic due to my menses (or lack thereof). The change did not occur until I began the vegan diet.

CarmenNC said...

Wow. I think I've slipped back into childhood. HAHAHA. I quit my good paying job, hustled my side business for three months to get a good jump start, started a sweet temp to hire job and have no insurance. This is the best gig I've ever had. Hope I get hired. I passed all the requirement tests and I haven't smoked weed in months. I passed the drug test to get the temp job so I'm good. I think my bills are more than my income, but you know what, I'm not worried about a thing. If all else fails, I'll rent my house, stay with somebody, and stack cake. Life is good!

I'm anemic too. My hemoglobin/red blood cells are oddly shaped but not sickle. I do carry the sickle cell trait. I half take the $1 iron/folic acid/b-12 pills. I'm not as tired as I used to be, but some days I can really feel it.