Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2008

Guess Who's Coming to Dharma?


As with all bloggers, sooner or later, there comes a topic that you are not sure you want to share. But no one keeps a light under their bed or a candle in the closet. So, I want to share the light I have received. Right after Thanksgiving and shortly before the week of that holiday, I started to practice daily meditations which include Buddhist chants. It has indeed been life changing. Opportunities I don't think I would have had and discipline that I had not had previously coincided at this time. We've all heard, "Free your mind and the rest will follow." Practicing Buddhism along with Christianity has benefited me greatly!

Well, I have been practicing chanting and trying to practice "religiously" The Noble Eightfold Path:
Wisdom (Sanskrit: prajñā, Pāli: paññā)
1. Right view
2. Right intention
Ethical conduct (Sanskrit: śīla, Pāli: sīla)
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood
Mental discipline (Sanskrit and Pāli: samādhi)
6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration

My Buddhist experience has been a powerful one. I practice Nichiren chanting from the Soka Gakkai International sect of Buddhism, just like one of my (s)heroes, Tina Turner except she has all the prayers committed to memory unlike myself.

See her chant below. It's really spectacular:


Here are some resources below for other Black Buddhists or if you are Buddhist-Curious:
Resources for Black Buddhists

7 comments:

naadii salaam said...

sophia!

great for you! i was raised in the nichren shoshu practice, but have migrated over to the study of zen buddhism. the eightfold path is the truth and the light though! another great read for "black buddhists" is called "being black; the art of living with fearlessness and grace" by angel kyodo williams. it's an awesome read.

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

I say free your mind and learn everything there is to learn...The most important part of this is that you believe in a higher power and you conceide to practice/learn what you higher power is all about..I think it is wonderful...I recently undertook something I have not done in the past...I starting on a journey to read the Bible in one year....Wish me luck...I was so entranced with reading Genesis chapters 1-9 last night that I could not put the Bible down....Now that is what I am talking about, spiritual growth...

muslimahlocs said...

one of my shayks has joked that he wished the muslims good get some of the good press that the buddhists get.

The [In]Urbane Goddess said...

The clip was awesome. It's interesting you point out you are practicing Christianity and Buddhism because many believe it is not possible to be true to both. I don't. Very nice post.

Afrodite said...

I've actually considered Buhhdism(sp?) because I just don't identify with Christianity.

Naturally Sophia said...

@ Afrodite- I am a Christian and Buddhist. With Buddhism you can practice Buddhism in addition to a religion. The Dharma is a lifestyle that can also be a religion. As for me, I do not worship Buddha although some Buddhists do. I worship Jesus Christ. As with any decision, do your research. Good Luck on your spiritual journey.

Love'nyalocs said...

That's interesting - blending Christianity and Buddhism....I'm feeling inclined towards the same path. I'm just beginning and the more I learn the more I feel that it is the right path for me. I am reading Living Buddha, Living Christ and it is wonderful. I'm so glad to come across another African American (u r the 1st)w/the intent of blending both spiritual tradtions!