Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Cheapest Retightening Tool

It's a hair pin. You can really retighten your locs with a hair pin. Don't believe me? Check out Mel's Blog. I was reading one of the forum's online and found some detailed instructions for latching. I have had many sistahs e-mail me commenting about not finding a good SL consultant. I wish the SL gods paid attention to bloggers. Anywho, I thought I would share yet another way to retighten locs since it may behoove you to retighten your hair yourself even if you have an excellent consultant like me. Retightening between visits cuts down on cost and time.

So, here we go.
The first thing you want to do is push the hairpin thru the new growth. See the photo:
Then, simply put your loc thru the end of the hairpin.
Lastly, just pull it thru the new growth and use the pattern you feel most comfortable with using. If you have Sisterlocks, make sure that you part and section well. It's easy to entangle the tiny locs together. I know from experience. lol! Retightening with the hair pin was definitely not hard. According to my research, I can find no tool any cheaper. My rating: Worth a try if you have time and a spare hair pin!
ADDENDUM: Per the request of the photographer, I removed the photos. I may post my own photos to demonstrate that it can be done. I only posted because I referenced the author's online album and assumed, because the post was positive in helping sisters/brothers maintain their own hair after years of abuse, that the owner would not mind. Obviously, my assumption was incorrect (possibly we do not share the same mission); and I apologize sincerely for any inconvenience in posting a demonstration of the art of self-retightening may have caused you, Crazycoil.

9 comments:

Lakia said...

WOW! That looks easy. I haven't got the DIY bugg yet... but I know it is comming.

naadii salaam said...

don't sleep! i have been known to use an unfolded paperclip (the large ones) in a pinch! in fact, i keep an unfolded paperclip in my wallet for those on the go occasions! LOL!

necessity is the mother of invention

muslimahlocs said...

ummmm...how about your very own fingers.

Meikmeika said...

I never would have thought of that..So many DIY options!

rmcandlelight said...

Thanks for sharing. I am a newbie only 1 month sisterlocked. I have to try this.

n'Drea said...

Oh thanks for sharing this. I have hope now, lol.

Breath of Light said...

When I had my locs I frequently used a bobby pin or paper clip (unfolded) while sitting at work. I actually found it was easier to use them than the latch hook at home. I had less instances of getting stray hair in the wrong loc. So I can attest to the convenience and simplicity!

SeZ said...

How do you prevent from making large holes in your locs with using the method? Do tell:)

Naturally Sophia said...

@ sez- you pull the locks taut each rotation like you would using any other tool. Give it a try!