Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Texture a Natural Hair Interview

Mary Mack is a beautiful, curvy natural hair diva that I have the pleasure of working with especially because she is both professional and friendly. I want to thank Mary Mack for her time and participation in contributing to this blog.

NS: Why did you decide to go natural?
MM: I decided to have natural hair because there were people who didn't believe that a person with my complexion could have naturally curly hair
NS: How long ago did you go natural?
MM: In 1999, about 8 years ago
NS:What do you like best about having natural hair?
MM: I like the stunned looks I get from people! It's funny that people believe that so called "good hair" only comes on light skin or bi-racial blacks.
NS: What do dislike about it (natural hair)?
MM:Finding someone that can style it the way I want. Everyone loves to "play" in my hair, but no one can really style it.
NS:Ok. What did you find out about your hair that you didn't already know?
MM: It has a mind of it's own!
NS: lol! Mine too.

NS:How do men respond to your natural hair as opposed to when you had a relaxer?
MM: My boyfriend loves my natural hair! He is admantly opposed to me relaxing it! I think he likes the compliments I get on my hair as much as I do. The reaction really isn't much different from then to now.
NS: You stated "opposed to me relaxing", are you considering a relaxer? If so, why?
MM: I consider a relaxing my hair every other week. Because I get tired of the ponytail, bun and braids. If I want to straighten my hair out it only lasts about 2 hrs, 4 max if I walk around with a handheld air conditioner. It would just be easier sometimes.
NS: Do you feel having natural hair effects your professional life? Is so, how?

MM: No, not at all!

NS:Your hair color is gorgeous. I love it! Is it natural?

MM:Thank you. It is not natural, bought at WalMart. It's Honey Blonde, but because my hair is so dark it comes out a golden red color. I wanted to go blonde but I liked this color better. I decided to stick with the accident.

NS: It looks very natural. And I think it compliments your skin perfectly. The accident was a pleasant surprise then.

MM: Yes it was!

NS: Do you have any tips for women transitioning to natural hair?

MM: It starts off pretty rough! hang in there, and you will love the end result!

NS: How did you go natural? Did you do the big chop or cut the ends off slowly?

MM: I've always had long hair so cutting it all off and starting over was not going to work for me. So I let it grow and slowly cut it off. For a while I had a half 'n half thing going on. Half curly, half straight.

NS:lol- What styles did you wear at the time?

MM: One big afro-puff

NS: Sounds very fly

MM: "I rocks rough and stuff with my afro puff..."LOL

NS: Do you have any products you like to use or product recommendations?

MM: I use TCB hair conditioner, mainly because its lighter and doesn't weigh my hair down.

NS:Which shampoo do you use and about how often do you wash your hair?

MM: (as far as products) I use a lot of conditioners too because my hair is like a sponge. I wash my hair every two weeks and I use Treseme deep cleaning.

NS: How does your family respond to your hair?

MM: They've been around since the beginning so they are used to it. And alot of my family has naturally curly/wavy hair so it's really no big deal.

NS: Thanks for your cooperation and time. I am trying to encourage being natural one head at a time.

MM: You're welcome. Gone girl, do your thang.

5 comments:

The Last King Of Scotland said...

natural hair is the ish

muslimahlocs said...

nice interview. mm's hair is beautiful. hmmm...mary mack, dressed in black, buttons up and down her back,...
i am guessing that is not her real name but taken from the song referenced above. is that so?

Xcentric Pryncess said...

good interview Sophia! I love her twists...My hair gets on my nerves some times too, but I wouldn't trade it for the world..I am too scared to do color though

aulelia said...

thank u 4 this. this is wicked to see another black lady with natural hair. looks great!!!

Naturally Sophia said...

Muslimahlocs- Mary Mack was taken from the song. I don't know if it has a relevance for her, but it's a screen name she uses...

All-Thanks!