Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2007

Naturally, Sophia has a Pet Peeve Involving Cornrows

I love cornrows. The photo on the left is from braidsinc.com. I like corn rows because they are just supremely neat (usually). I also love the neat designs and partings that reflect how creative people of color are. I also love the fact that cornrows look really good on men and women, children and adults.


So, now you are wondering about my pet peeves. I hate it when people pronounce cornrows as "cornrolls". WTH? That doesn't even make sense.


Second, I strongly dislike when guys have beads on their cornrows. See below:


Until last week, I thought that's where my pet peeves about cornrows ended until I saw a brother at the bank with the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen attached to cornrows, barrettes. A grown man (who appeared to be straight) had these attached to each of his cornrows. WTH?

I tried to take a picture of it a couple of times with my camera phone because I was behind him at the bank. But each time I tried this African chick behind me kept asking me questions about my cell phone. It was a funny scene. lol! I would open the camera and she would say, in "Coming to America" style, "What phone is this?..." lol!

Another true story from the ATL...

12 comments:

AMAZONIA said...

lmao.. Corn rolls.hhaaha.. Never thought of it but some people do actually pronounce it like that

I think very few men can carry braids with class. So i am not a big fan of the braid phenom.

Xcentric Pryncess said...

Lol..too funny--we should start a blog called true stories from the ATL...lol

noone over age 16 should have barettes hanging from their head anyway...

Cluizel said...

LMAO...that is good that you tried though! I would have wanted to take a pic of that too!

Barettes?!?...stop it.

Cluizel said...

Oh...I don't like the "cornrolls" thing either...

Meikmeika said...

LOL!!! I sure would have loved to see a pic of that!!! LOL!!!

Ms Stella said...

Oh damn, I have been wincing every time I see corn rolls typed somewhere. I'm glad it's out in the open now. It was always my understanding that the style's name came from its similar appearance to rows of corn (as in a corn field) so I never understood where the heck people got corn rolls from. That's as bad as the time I saw someone type doggy dog world instead of dog-eat-dog world.

Luscious Librarian said...

I might be overanalyzing but the barrettes thing was bound to happen given the infantilization that's running rampant through hip hop right now (and some people just have to do what they see).

Case in point:
Lil'Wayne
Soldier Boy
The Shop Boyz
Young Dro
Young Jeezy

I mean, damn, doesn't anybody want to grow up to be a grown ass man?

Bygbaby said...

Oh hell nall, barrettes. That alone gave you all access to beat the shit out of him! I bet they were one of his kids.

Some people are so out of it.

Naturally Sophia said...

@ xcentric princess- I like that blog idea. If you are serious, let's co-author it

@ms stella and byg baby- lol!

@ luscious librarian- true

@all- LMBAO!

Empress CurlELocs said...

lol, there is a man that works with me at 2 P'tree who has not only beads but fake hair in his cornrows..I was just telling another co-worker that I could not stand when men did this..lol.

Empress CurlELocs said...

lol, there is a man that works at 2 p'tree with me that not only has the beads but has fake hair all in his cornrows..I was just telling a co-worker how much I dislike when men do this..lol!

Anonymous said...

Very well said, luscious librarian.