Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Birthday Celebration

Unfortunately, I could not celebrate the way I originally wanted to celebrate my birthday this year. My BFF was out of town, my other close friends were either busy or broke, and, most importantly, my cousin died this week. His funeral was today. I spent most of the morning frazzled because I was unsure as of what to wear and where the funeral was. I finally decided to wear head to toe black and a veil around my neck and hair. It seemed appropriate as my cousin's death came at the untimely age of 46; and he died of cancer. The second reason I decided on wearing the veil is because of my family's fixation on my hair. "How is it?" "Is it straight or curly?" "Do you have a relaxer?" With the veil and the severity of the family gathering, I only received minimal inquiries about my hair.

Because the funeral coincided with my birthday,I had more inclination to reflect and ponder life's meaning. Above all things, I want to be thought of as useful and loving. I also realize how short my own life is:
James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

And I thought of how important it is to utilize the few moments each of us have left to the best, fullest potential.
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.- Annie Dillard

3 comments:

muslimahlocs said...

greetings sophia. please accept my condolences for the loss of your cousin. i have at least one funeral to attend this week and another one if i can work out the logistics. i hope that your cousin led a life that he could look back on and feel that he had truly lived.

Goodnapps said...

Sophia,

I'm so sorry to hear of your cousin's passing. I wish you and your family all the best as you heal from your loss.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Sorry to hear you could not spend it as you
would have liked. But there are no rules that say you can't celebrate it tomorrow.

I love the quote you posted. Excellent!

Meikmeika said...

Sophia> I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Happy Birthday!!