Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My 2nd Retightening: Muchas Problemas

After my 2nd retightening, I must say that I am extremely disappointed with the Sisterlock Consultants in Atlanta. With the initial install in Boston, the consultant was professional, meticulous, and did everything perfectly. The people here in Atlanta are much worse than I expected. Here's why:


Consultant Number 1: She was off to a good start because she takes weekend appointments and is in my neighborhood. She is very professional and courteous; but retightened my hair using the clip tool which is designed for mature locs to my understanding. It made my locs inconsistent where she retightened them, and there are several bulbs and knots where she retightened it. She is very heavy handed. Ouch! Although the ambiance was great... She retightened my hair while I lounged in a chaise lounge chair.


Consultant Number 2: She is not at all professional!!! I called her a couple of months back to make an appointment with her, and she said she would call me back and didn't. Then, I called her back because she was referred to me. I made an appointment AND confirmed the appointment. When I show up at the shop, which took me 40 minutes to get to, she looks perplexed. I introduce myself and remind her of the appointment. She goes to her book where my name and number are written; then says, "I thought we discussed another day." I advised her that we didn't. She then says that she can't do it and refers me to Number 3 without even apologizing. Number 3 is an hour away from her shop and equally far from my house. Even worse, I took off of work for the appointment.


Consultant Number 3: She was very far from where I lived, but took my appointment on short notice after Number 2 called her. She was the most expensive and combined several of my locs without my knowledge. Gasp! I was feeling my hair over the Labor Day break and noticed many locs had one root but two ends. I spent the weekend undoing that because it totally messed up my parting that was even horizontally and veritcally. She also noted that Number 1 retightened my hair incorrectly producing knots and that she wouldn't have installed them the way they were. She complained that they were too small around the hairline and that my ends should not have been left out. I explained to her I want my ends loose...that it's ok. She stopped at that point with bringing my locs down to the ends. Yet another thing I had to undo. Then, she gave me some maintenance instructions which involved braiding my hair ever night and banding. Whateva! Totally, not why I got locs. No daily maintenance required.


I am seriously considering taking the Sisterlocks class to retighten my own hair or using the Nappy Locks tool to retighten them myself. Thoughts?

17 comments:

naadii salaam said...

i say learn how to retighten yourself. i am probably committing sisterlock blasphemy, but i would say that you can probably figure out how to do it yourself. i live by the north, south, east, west pattern. once you know how to maintain tool assisted locs, it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. but please note that i do not have sisterlocks, and it really may be intricate.

i have vacilated back and forth about taking the class or not, but in my opinion, it's just too expensive to learn only one technique. i could spend my 4 days and 1600 better elsewhere.

if the retightening class will set you free from dealing with the wackness of inexperienced or difficult sisterlockers, then i say Just Do It!

muslimahlocs said...

Contact the cosultant who did you installation; find out what pattern she used and why? Take the class and start DIY. I prefer the hook tool; and would never use the clip tool on new locks unless the ends were permed and would later be cut off.

WandaWoman said...

I say it couldn't hurt for you to switch to doing them yourself. Learn to retighten your own hair. I took the class, but I am lazy and prefer to go to a consultant, but I can do them.

That's too bad that you've had such bad experiences with Sisterlock consultants in ATL. Are you on the lockitup list? Perhaps someone could recommend a consultant that they're pleased with?

Meikmeika said...

I'm so sorry you're going through so much for retightenings in Atlanta. I too would like to take the retightening course so when or if I move I don't have to worry about finding another consultant.

Goodnapps said...

There is only one reason a person would use the clip tool over the hook tool - they don't know how to use the hook. I took the retightening class the end of June and can't use the hook to save my life so I only use the clip for now.

I would hardly consider self retightening fun and glamorous but it is absolutely necessary. You just can't be totally dependent on somebody else.

Helga said...

Ya, I have to agree with the other comments, learning to maintain your hair yourself will allow you to take more time to find a competent loctician (if you so choose). I intend to learn how to retighten myself this month and to see a loctician less frequently. Good luck with this.

SistaLocd said...

I thought I had it bad. I'm sorry that you are going through tough times with not one but several Sisterlocks Consultants.

Sounds like Doing It Yourself seems to be the thing to do around here. I feel that we shouldn't be pressured into learning how to do our own hair due to someone else's unprofessionalism. However I realize that, that is the only way we will not have to deal with those certain problems. I say like everyone else go for it rather you take the retightening class or not it will be worth it in the end. I can not wait to take the retightening class because I have had it! pateintly waiting....
I hope things start to look better.

blackrussian said...

That is a SHAME! So sorry to hear. I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't HAVE to learn because no one else can do it right, but it looks like that's how it's gonna be.

I'm with MM. I LOVE my consultant, but I am afraid about what will happen if she leaves or I leave...

I want to learn before that time comes so that I can find another consultant at my leisure and do it myself in the meantime.

My consultant says the same thing: the clip tool is for those who don't know what they're doing. She does not recommend it at all.

Mel said...

I have decided that it is time to really think about maintaining my own hair. I purchased the latch hook ebook, which is fairly informative and of course there is a lot of info in blogosphere. I think I am going to buy the nappylocks tool and a latch hook and teach myself. I'll stick with my hairdresser until I reach the one year mark in December and then gradually take over myself.

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks to all of you who commented. I have not decided what to do. There are a few more consultants in the Atlanta area; I think I will do a better screening process to find a better consultant in the meantime. And I will explore the nappy locks tool. If it works and is unlike the clip tool, I will be maintaining them myself. I am not looking forward to paying for a SL class...

blackrussian said...

Yeah, I don't really want to come up off another $250. I feel ya. Everyone says the nappy tool is super easy to use.

Tra said...

The nappylocks tool is super simple to use. I use it in between my retightenings. I have seen and tried the clip tool before and it is way to hard on the fingers IMO. A lot of people that I know who have taken the retightening class and use the the nappylock tool for maintenance. You can check out post from Creyole and Leighann for more info on it.

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

I also agree to take the class once it it offered in your area; or as naadi salaam says to use the pattern she just mentioned..It seems there is a bad rep for some Sisterlock consultant out there but there are some good ones to..You just have't found the right one...I took the class and have had to 'adventures' in retightening. The first one was IMO -rough and the second one was much better. Eventually take back your freedom and just do it:)

Amba said...

Hi Sophia, sorry for your retightening woes. As a consultant trainee (awaiting certification) I can only say that consultants are trained to use both tools but personal preference sometimes wins over. In my case, my preference is the clip (as was the wonderful consultant who installed my locks). I'm sorry for your bad experiences in Atlanta. There are wonderful consultants out there I assure you.

Anonymous said...

If one can afford it, take the full class. Although it is a financial investment, you don't have to wait for anyone's permission or for a certain timeframe or anyone's reference to take it and in the end, you will know much more than how to retighten your own hair. You can get clients and basically use the income to offset the expense which I am sure pays for itself in the long-term. That's my plan and I'm a newbie.

A Sista Who Locked said...

Wow.... I am sorry you are going through all of this. What area do you live in? My loctitian lives in Snellville.. She is worth a try if that is not too far.

Anonymous said...

The writer of naturallysophia.blogspot.com has written a superior article. I got your point and there is nothing to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not disagree with: Simplicity is the highest form of complexity, as we cannot explain it any further. I will be back.