Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Erasing Ethnicity: A Plastic Surgery Crisis

I am proud to be from a people who the sun loves. I am proud to be from a culture that realized Black is Beautiful because it always was. But I have noticed that there are less people of color that share my pride. People all over the world are erasing their ethnicity.

Let's start with home, the U.S.A:

Plastic surgeries performed on people of color jumped 65% when compared to the 38% by the overall population.
The most popular surgeries for Blacks and Hispanics- nose jobs! Ugh....

Recently, Pepa (Sandra Denton- Jamaican American) from Salt N' Pepa underwent a nose job joining the ranks of Patti Labelle and Vivica A. Fox. She, like them, in my honest opinion, looks a hot mess. See the before and after (on the right):




Moving along, $50 Million= the amount Black Women spend on Relaxers! Wow! What if that money was spent on education or feeding the homeless or just loving ourselves!
I have no idea how much women of color spend on weave. But I suspect it greatly surpasses the cost of relaxers annually. I don't think Chrissette Michelle has a relaxer but she definitely has a weave. I miss her looking au naturel. Check out the before and after:




Asian women have their share of costly and dangerous surgeries too! Among them include calf reduction and leg lengthening to the tune of $10,000- $25,000. There are also the numerous eyelid surgeries to make them look less Asian.

And what do women of color all have in common as far as erasing our ethnicities? Naturally, Sophia's number one pet peeve colored contact lenses. In the US alone, 2.7 million colored contacts were purchased last year. My number one concern is the teens that buy the lenses are not getting them fitted. Even worse, they are buying clear contact lenses and adding food color to them. This can and does cause blindness! Don't believe me, read here:







Besides colored contacts never look as real as the real thing. I have known a few men of color with blue eyes and a few more with hazel. Colored contacts look like a cheap imitation in comparison. I think we all should examine the ways we erase our ethnicity.




I love my ethnicity and think it's worth preserving.

11 comments:

Ms Stella said...

Sometimes I watch Dr 90210 (reality tv show about plastic surgery) and I have seen everything from single mom's who think that a tummy tuck will get them a better man to heart wrenching cases of people paying for someone's deformed face (birth defect) being repaired so they can lead a normal life.

Celebrities like Lil Kim, Janet and Michael Jackson etc.. did not need to change their features. They were beautiful to begin with. To bad you can't go to a Dr. and have your perception of yourself changed that easy.

Meikmeika said...

It's a dern shame isn't it??!!! My top worst Plastic Surgery picks are Lil' Kim and Vivica Fox... They just look so fake and broke down.

I too watch Dr. 90210 and sadly am obsessed with the show. Some of the cases are too extreme for me like getting your face, chest, stomach, and butt done all at once but people are always searching for the fountain of youth.

I always find it interesting when celebrities get cosmetic surgery.. the face and body they started out with were the ones that got them to celebrity status.

I can't even stomach looking at Michael Jackson, his actual face looks like a mask, painted on lips, big eye-lined eyes and pastie skin..it just ain't right..

muslimahlocs said...

ooooooooooohhhhhhh, i am so sad to read that pepa succumbed to the pressure and had her nose reshaped. i can't imagine what would drive a person to do such a thing. a former high school classmate told me way back in high school about her plan to redo her nose, thighs and buttox when she got old enough. i was just thinking short-term about what i was going to wear the next day and she was already planning cosmetic surgery at 16. i wonder what happened to her?

Xcentric Pryncess said...

Great post! People get suntans to have our complexions, lip injections to have our lips, perms to curl their hair like ours is naturally...I am proud of my skin color, my features and my hair texture...Don't forget Toni Braxton, all of these women and men were attractive before their surgeries...blacks want to look white, whites want to look black...the world is just a trip right now....

Luscious Librarian said...

I think what's happened is that more black people have money. It's not that we've lost our sense of self, but more like we never really had it.

I was talking to my Mom about going natural in the 70's and back then they pressed their hair so all they had to do was give a shampoo and 'bam' instant afro, but as soon as the so-called struggle went out of fashion everybody picked up the jheri curl and it was all she wrote.

Lady80 said...

I just saw that same VH1 ad for Salt-n-Pepa's new show and I did a complete double-take...didn't even recognize her. Lil' Kim is especially tragic, though. Anybody else think she is starting to look like LeToya Jackson in that Keyshia Cole video? Horrid.
I remember Essence did a cover story a few years ago called "Deconstructing Lil' Kim" where they tried to reach out to her and just get at the root of what was causing all of her extreme behavior (and looks.)They couldn't save her..she's been a mess since Biggie passed.

n'Drea said...

Here in JA, bleaching (skin lightening) is a problem. It's not surprising to see young men and women walking on the street, their faces, necks and even arms, plastered with a white skin lightening cream. Despite all the educational programmes about the dangers of these products, they still persist, in an attempt to be a 'browning'. We may not have the plastic surgery crisis here, as in the US, but we have an identity crisis, nonetheless.

babygirl said...

Daddy loves it.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Nice post! thank you for sharing this information. naturallysophia.blogspot.com really got under my
[url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] bookmarked... Keep up the great site...