Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Naturally, Sophia Wants A Nose Ring

I am opening this internal debate up to my blog readers. I would like a nose ring, a tiny diamond stud to be exact. I have done my research thoroughly about its origins. I have also researched it culturally and in religious doctrines.

See below:
It is probably of African origin, and has traveled to India, along with the Muslim conquests. Ibn Batuta the great globetrotter from Tangiers, was in India between 1336-1346 AD. As a guest of ruler of Honavar, he had noticed nose-rings worn by Muslim girls who were very beautiful. The region was inhabited by Moors or Arabs who were traders they were known as Navayats, much earlier to the advent of Islam. Indians were known quickly to adopt quickly any foreign custom, advantageous to them. In no time, nose ornaments became immensely popular and received shape and significance of each caste and community. Diamonds and precious stones set in gold were worn on right, left or middle of the nostrils. Natth (or Nattu in Kannada) is a big nose ornament. Muguthi is a jewel studded smaller ornament. It is mentioned in several Kannada classics.



It is also mentioned in the Bible:

Nose piercing was first recorded in the Middle East approximately 4,000 years ago, it is mentioned in The Bible in Genesis 24:22 Abraham requested his oldest servant to find a wife for his son Isaac, the servant found Rebekah, and one of the gifts he gave her was a "golden earring" the original Hebrew word used was Shanf, which also translates as "nose-ring".

But it also states that the Bible warns us against cuttings in our flesh in Leviticus 19:28 which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."


Native Americans, Africans, and Indians have all held the practice in some way in certain tribes throughout history.


I polled a couple of my friends and they made remarks concerning the professionalism of it or lack thereof. Honestly, I don't know if I should indulge. I am concerned about my image, career, and any spiritual/cultural implications that I am unaware of at the time. Please, let me know what you think???

11 comments:

naadii salaam said...

i have a nosering. i like it. i prefer my jewelry to be small and tasteful. rhinestone size is perfect to me, especially with a flat setting...prong settings protrude a lil more.

i will say that you might want to research the starter jewelry choices. they tend to be a little larger and less fashionable, but once your piercing heals, you can change to whatever you want. you might wanna experiment by buying a magnetic ear/nose ring from claire's to see how you like the look and size of it. placement is key for optimal satisfaction.

hope this helps!

brunsli said...

I used to have my nose pierced. It was done with a ring (easier to clean) then I switched to a diamond stud.

I got it when I was 25, and wanted to celebrate in some way. It got infected (what was I thinking? I had a horrible time with infections when my ears were pierced.) it closed, and you can't see it anymore.

As far as professionalism, I believe once it's set, you can take it out at will. So it's not a big deal in many ways. But, do think about the effect of locks AND a nose piercing on other people. And then think about how much you care or don't care.

While you're deciding, you could get some crystal body tattoos (stickers) and put one on your nose to see if you like the look, what effect it has on you, and how people react to you.

And, if you do decide to go for it, take a friend with you. I went with my friend Winnie and I almost broke her hand, I was squeezing so hard!

muslimahlocs said...

wow. you know about ibn batatu. that's interesting from my perspective. i've heard that it really, really, really hurts. i have friends who had them in college but removed them later in life. if you are concerned @ the religious/spiritual implications then maybe you should discuss it with a "religious advisor" of your particular faith.

Bygbaby said...

I think it takes someone with strong facial features to wear a nose ring.

I agree with Brunsli, try a temp solution to see if you can live with it.

Bygbaby

CHIC NOIR said...

Think how how it may set you back in your profession if your career means a lot to you. Also how would your mother feel about it.

sunsail said...

Hmm. I think there are very, very few people that can pull off a nose ring... and most of them are indian! personally, i'm not a fan of them, but to each their own!!

Carla said...

Hmmm... Well, I've wanted my nose pierced since I was about 16 (now 34). Never did. At first, it was out of respect for my mother who didn't approve. I figured I'd wait til I was 18. By then, I was already working in corporate America and have ever since. So I never did. Now, I've moved out of the corporate world in order to do my own entreprenuerial thang. And now, I guess I feel like I'm too old for such a thing. :( Still, this post of yours has renewed my desire. I guess if I still want it after all this time, might as well go for it!

So thanks for the inspiration! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Regarding nose piercings: The people of India view this a sign of beauty. Nose piercing is very attractive, and can accentuate the face, because the nose is the face's most prominent feature; Leonardo Da Vinci believed that the nose set the character of the whole face. This practice is still followed among the nomadic Berber and Beja tribes of Africa, and the Bedouins of the Middle East, the size of the ring denotes the wealth of the family. It is given by the husband to his wife at the marriage, and is her security if she is divorced.
Just some history behind it. But I personally have had mine since I was 19yrs old. It has never interfered with any of my professional goals. Feel free to indulge in your personal style but just remember its really all in the manner in which you carry yourself. Whether you choose locks, dreads, a natural fro, a new tatoo or a small piercing just do it with class. ;)

Aquarian Thoughts said...

I guess I'm a little late on this one. .

I used to have a nose ring and for one reason took it out and it closed. Interestingly, for the last month or so, I have considered re-piercing my nose. I had a very small one with a flat setting and I don't think it looked unprofessional, but then again, I have locs and my idea of "professional" strays far from the average. I tend to gravitate towards African and East Indian culture and use to glue very small rhinestones to my forehead. You may want to try that first {the glue that is}. You can find very tiny Swarovski crystals at your local art supply store and then purchase some eyelash glue at your local drug store. Instant fix with no scars to show and the glue washes of with soap ;)

brunsli said...

Sophia, What did you decide?

Anonymous said...

Cool story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more about that topic. Thnx for giving that info.